Connect with us

International

US judge asks Trump’s team to justify claims about FBI search | Donald Trump News

Ex-president has claimed without evidence that FBI might have planted documents during search of Mar-a-Lago last month.

The United States judge appointed to vet documents seized from Donald Trump’s Florida home last month has ordered the former US president’s legal team to provide evidence to back up Trump’s unsubstantiated claims that some of the files were planted by the FBI.

In a legal filing on Thursday, Raymond Dearie asked the Justice Department to certify by Monday a detailed inventory of the documents that were seized during the FBI’s August 8 search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate.

He then asked Trump’s lawyers to submit by September 30 a list of specific items they believe “were not seized from the premises” during the search, as well as to submit any corrections to the US government’s property list.

“This submission shall be plaintiff’s [Trump’s] final opportunity to raise any factual dispute as to the completeness and accuracy of the Detailed Property Inventory,” Dearie wrote.

Dearie was appointed this month to serve as a neutral third party, known as a special master, to vet the documents seized during the FBI search for any material covered by executive privilege or attorney-client privilege.

US District Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee, had agreed with a request from the ex-president’s team to freeze the government’s review of the files until a special master could be appointed.

The Justice Department is conducting an investigation into Trump’s possible mishandling of classified material in an unprecedented criminal probe targeting a former president.

The search warrant for Mar-a-Lago said federal agents were investigating potential violations of three different federal laws, including one that governs gathering, transmitting or losing defence information under the Espionage Act.

An unsealed property receipt also showed the FBI seized 11 sets of classified documents, some of which were marked not only top secret but also “sensitive compartmented information”.

Trump’s legal team has slammed the investigation as “misguided”, saying that US law grants presidents “extraordinary discretion” to label documents from their administration as presidential or personal.

The former president’s legal team has also questioned whether documents marked “classified” that were recovered from Mar-a-Lago were indeed secret files, suggesting that Trump may have declassified them before leaving office.

In an interview with Fox News on Wednesday, Trump suggested that the FBI might have planted documents during the search.

“The problem that you have is they go into rooms, they won’t let anybody near them; they wouldn’t even let them in the same building. Did they drop anything into those files? Or did they do it later? There’s no chain of custody here with them,” he said.

Meanwhile, a US appeals court on Wednesday approved the Justice Department’s request to lift Cannon’s hold on its review of the records.

The ruling amounted to an overwhelming victory for the government, clearing the way for investigators to continue scrutinising the documents as they consider whether to bring criminal charges against Trump.

Source link

International

US judge dismisses Mexico lawsuit against gun manufacturers

MEXICO CITY — A U.S. federal judge on Friday dismissed a lawsuit brought by the Mexican government against U.S. gun manufacturers arguing their commercial practices has led to bloodshed in Mexico.

Judge F. Dennis Saylor in Boston ruled Mexico’s claims did not overcome the broad protection provided to gun manufacturers by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act passed in 2005.

The law shields gun manufacturers from damages “resulting from the criminal or unlawful misuse” of a firearm.

Mexico’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said it would appeal the decision.

Mexico was seeking at least $10 billion in compensation, but legal experts had viewed the lawsuit as a long shot.

The Mexican government argued that the companies know their practices contribute to the trafficking of guns into Mexico and facilitate it. Mexico wants compensation for the havoc the guns have wrought on its people.

Among those sued were some of the biggest names in guns, including: Smith & Wesson Brands Inc., Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc., Beretta U.S.A. Corp., Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC and Glock Inc.

Another defendant was Interstate Arms, a Boston-area wholesaler that sells guns from all but one of the named manufacturers to dealers around the U.S.

The Mexican government estimates 70% of the weapons trafficked into Mexico come from the U.S., according to the Foreign Affairs Ministry. It said that in 2019 alone, at least 17,000 homicides in Mexico were linked to trafficked weapons.

Mexico argued the U.S. protection act did not apply when an injury occurred outside the United States.

Saylor did not agree.

“Mexico is seeking to hold defendants liable for practices that occurred within the United States and only resulted in harm in Mexico,” he wrote. “This case thus represents a valid domestic application of the PLCAA, and the presumption against extraterritoriality does not apply.”

The sale of firearms is severely restricted in Mexico and controlled by the Defense Department. But thousands of guns are smuggled into Mexico by the country’s powerful drug cartels.

Source link

Continue Reading

International

Officials: North Korea fires suspected ballistic missiles

TOKYO — North Korea has fired suspected ballistic missiles, the Japanese Defense Ministry said Saturday.

Further details are still being analyzed, ministry officials said.

Japanese media reported that the missiles are believed to have landed in the Sea of Japan.

Saturday’s firing is the latest of North Korea’s escalating missile launches and a third this week following those fired Friday in the wake of U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris’ visit in South Korea.

Source link

Continue Reading

International

Army officers appear on Burkina Faso TV, declare new coup

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso — More than a dozen soldiers seized control of Burkina Faso’s state television late Friday, declaring that the country’s coup leader-turned-president, Lt. Col. Paul Henri Sandaogo Damiba, had been overthrown after only nine months in power.

A statement read by a junta spokesman said Capt. Ibrahim Traore is the new military leader of Burkina Faso, a volatile West African country that is battling a mounting Islamic insurgency.

Burkina Faso’s new military leaders said the country’s borders had been closed and a curfew would be in effect from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. The transitional government and national assembly were ordered dissolved.

Damiba and his allies overthrew the democratically elected president, coming to power with promises of make the country more secure. However, violence has continued unabated and frustration with his leadership has grown in recent months.

“Faced by the continually worsening security situation, we the officers and junior officers of the national armed forces were motivated to take action with the desire to protect the security and integrity of our country,” said the statement read by the junta spokesman, Capt. Kiswendsida Farouk Azaria Sorgho.

The soldiers promised the international community they would respect their commitments and urged Burkinabes “to go about their business in peace.”

“A meeting will be convened to adopt a new transitional constitution charter and to select a new Burkina Faso president be it civilian or military,” Sorgho added.

Damiba had just returned from addressing the U.N. General Assembly in New York as Burkina Faso’s head of state. Tensions, though, had been mounting for months. In his speech, Damiba defended his January coup as “an issue of survival for our nation,” even if it was ”perhaps reprehensible” to the international community.

Constantin Gouvy, Burkina Faso researcher at Clingendael, said Friday night’s events “follow escalating tensions within the ruling MPSR junta and the wider army about strategic and operational decisions to tackle spiraling insecurity.”

“Members of the MPSR increasingly felt Damiba was isolating himself and casting aside those who helped him seize power,” Gouvy told The Associated Press.

Gunfire had erupted in the capital, Ouagadougou, early Friday and hours passed without any public appearance by Damiba. Late in the afternoon, his spokesman posted a statement on the presidency’s Facebook page saying that “negotiations are underway to bring back calm and serenity.”

Friday’s developments felt all too familiar in West Africa, where a coup in Mali in August 2020 set off a series of military power grabs in the region. Mali also saw a second coup nine months after the August 2020 overthrow of its president, when the junta’s leader sidelined his civilian transition counterparts and put himself alone in charge.

On the streets of Ouagadougou, some people already were showing support Friday for the change in leadership even before the putschists took to the state airwaves.

Francois Beogo, a political activist from the Movement for the Refounding of Burkina Faso, said Damiba “has showed his limits.”

“People were expecting a real change,” he said of the January coup d’etat.

Some demonstrators voiced support for Russian involvement in order to stem the violence, and shouted slogans against France, Burkina Faso’s former colonizer. In neighboring Mali, the junta invited Russian mercenaries from the Wagner Group to help secure the country, though their deployment has drawn international criticism.

Many in Burkina Faso initially supported the military takeover last January, frustrated with the previous government’s inability to stem Islamic extremist violence that has killed thousands and displaced at least 2 million.

Yet the violence has failed to wane in the months since Damiba took over. Earlier this month, he also took on the position of defense minister after dismissing a brigadier general from the post.

“It’s hard for the Burkinabe junta to claim that it has delivered on its promise of improving the security situation, which was its pretext for the January coup,” said Eric Humphery-Smith, senior Africa analyst at the risk intelligence company Verisk Maplecroft.

Earlier this week, at least 11 soldiers were killed and 50 civilians went missing after a supply convoy was attacked by gunmen in Gaskinde commune in Soum province in the Sahel. That attack was “a low point” for Damiba’s government and “likely played a role in inspiring what we’ve seen so far today,” added Humphery-Smith.

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Friday that nearly one-fifth of Burkina Faso’s population “urgently needs humanitarian aid.”

“Burkina Faso needs peace, it needs stability, and it needs unity in order to fight terrorist groups and criminal networks operating in parts of the country,” Dujarric said.

Chrysogone Zougmore, president of the Burkina Faso Movement for Human Rights, called Friday’s developments “very regrettable,” saying the instability would not help in the fight against the Islamic extremist violence.

“How can we hope to unite people and the army if the latter is characterized by such serious divisions?” Zougmore said. “It is time for these reactionary and political military factions to stop leading Burkina Faso adrift.”

———

Mednick reported from Barcelona. Associated Press writers Krista Larson in Dakar, Senegal, and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed.

Source link

Continue Reading

Facebook

Latest

In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said
National2 days ago

In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said

In response, a senior woman IAS officer said that there is no end to this demand. She further said, 'You...

Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees
National2 days ago

Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees

Along with this, the work of redevelopment is going on in 199 railway stations of the country. Tenders have been...

Twitter denies Elon Musk's claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news Twitter denies Elon Musk's claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news
National2 days ago

Twitter denies Elon Musk’s claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news

Documents obtained from two data scientists employed by Musk showed they estimated in early July that the number of fake...

Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved
National2 days ago

Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved

It is being told that more than a dozen proposals can be approved in the meeting to be chaired by...

Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter
National3 days ago

Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter

Female air hostess. When the police reached the spot, the woman told that a person named Harijit Yadav, whom she...

People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case
National3 days ago

People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case

It started today with the Uddhav vs Shinde case. Senior advocate Kapil Sibal argued on behalf of the Uddhav faction.

NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar
National3 days ago

NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar

. So the same, NIA team raided Delhi's Shaheen Bagh on Tuesday morning and detained 30 people. The NIA had...

New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort
National3 days ago

New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort

After leaving the job, Pulkit, Saurabh and Ankit put a lot of pressure on me to return to the job....

Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy
National1 week ago

Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy

It was inaugurated when I became the Prime Minister. A huge amount of money was wasted due to this delay....

BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter
National1 week ago

BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter

When the MP saw that the toilet of the center was very dirty, it was not cleaned, he decided to...

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.