Connect with us

International

Chile presents appeal to FIFA in World Cup case with Ecuador | Qatar World Cup 2022 News

FIFA expected to issue a ruling in the case of an Ecuador player that Chile claim played while ineligible during World Cup qualifying.

Chile has presented its appeal challenging Ecuador’s place at the World Cup to FIFA in a case alleging an ineligible player with a ruling expected in the coming days.

Barely nine weeks before the 32-team World Cup is scheduled to start on November 20, Chile is hoping to replace Ecuador in the opening match against host Qatar. It presented its appeal on Thursday.

FIFA previously said it asked Ecuador player Byron Castillo, who Chilean officials claim is actually Colombian and should not have played in World Cup qualifying games, to be available to testify. The appeal hearing was being conducted remotely from Zurich with only the three judges present.

A verdict is expected by early next week – possibly as soon as Friday – though it is unlikely to resolve the case.

Either the Chilean or Ecuadorian football federation can appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if they lose. CAS would then manage an urgent case in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The FIFA appeals committee rarely overturns a ruling by the football body’s disciplinary committee, which sided with Ecuador in a decision on June 10.

Castillo played in eight World Cup qualifiers and helped Ecuador advance to the tournament by placing fourth in the 10-team South American group.

Chile claims to have documents proving Castillo was never eligible to play for Ecuador and so should forfeit all eight games. That would lift Chile to fourth place and drop Ecuador out of contention.

The case is proceeding while FIFA and Qatari organisers are selling thousands of tickets and accommodation rooms to Ecuador fans.

Chile prepared its legal arguments after the World Cup draw was made on April 1, when Ecuador was put into Group A with Qatar, the Netherlands and Senegal.

The FIFA judge overseeing the case is Neil Eggleston, a former White House counsel in the second administration of former US President Barack Obama.

Source link

International

Mexico’s $10bn lawsuit against US gun makers dismissed by judge | News

Mexico estimates that 2.2 percent of the nearly 40 million guns made annually in the US are smuggled across its border.

A US judge has dismissed Mexico’s $10bn lawsuit that sought to hold US gun manufacturers responsible for facilitating the flood of weapons that are smuggled across the US-Mexico border to drug cartels.

In its August 2021 complaint, Mexico estimated that 2.2 percent of the nearly 40 million guns made annually in the United States are smuggled into Mexico, including as many as 597,000 guns made by defendants named in the lawsuit.

Mexico said that in 2019 alone, at least 17,000 homicides were linked to trafficked weapons from the US.

“While the court has considerable sympathy for the people of Mexico, and none whatsoever for those who traffic guns to Mexican criminal organizations, it is duty-bound to follow the law,” Chief Judge F Dennis Saylor said in a 44-page decision announced in federal court in Boston on Friday.

Saylor said federal law “unequivocally” bars lawsuits seeking to hold gun manufacturers responsible when people use guns for their intended purpose. He said the law contained several narrow exceptions, but none applied.

The decision is a victory for gun makers Smith & Wesson Brands, Sturm, Ruger & Co, Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc, Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, Glock Inc, and others who were accused of undermining Mexico’s strict gun laws by designing, marketing, and selling military-style assault weapons that drug cartels use.

Mexico’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said it would appeal the decision “and continue insisting that the sale of guns be responsible, transparent and accountable, and that the negligent way in which they are sold in the United States facilitates criminals’ access to them”.

“This suit by the Mexican government has received worldwide recognition and has been considered a turning point in the discussion around the gun industry’s responsibility for the violence experience in Mexico and the region,” the ministry said.

Shielding gun makers from lawsuits

Mexico was seeking at least $10bn in compensation, but legal experts had viewed the lawsuit as a long shot.

The Mexican government had argued that the companies know their practices contribute to the trafficking of guns into Mexico and facilitate it. Mexico wanted compensation for the havoc the guns have wrought on its people.

A lawyer for Smith & Wesson declined to comment. Lawyers for Sturm, Ruger did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Mexico said gun smuggling has been a key factor in its ranking third worldwide in the number of gun-related deaths each year. It also claimed to suffer many other harms, including declining investment and economic activity and a need to spend more on law enforcement and public safety.

But the judge said Mexico could not overcome a provision in a US law – the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act – that shields gun makers from lawsuits over “the harm solely caused by the criminal or unlawful misuse of firearm products … by others when the product functioned as designed and intended”.

Mexico argued the US protection act did not apply when an injury occurred outside the United States.

Saylor did not agree.

“Mexico is seeking to hold defendants liable for practices that occurred within the United States and only resulted in harm in Mexico,” he wrote. “This case thus represents a valid domestic application of the PLCAA, and the presumption against extraterritoriality does not apply.”

The sale of firearms is severely restricted in Mexico and controlled by the Defence Department. But thousands of guns are smuggled into Mexico each year by the country’s powerful drug cartels.

Source link

Continue Reading

International

Small protests appear in Havana over islandwide blackout

HAVANA — The widespread power outage caused by Hurricane Ian prompted several hundred people to protest in Havana, and a monitoring group said the island’s internet service shut down again Friday in what appeared to be an attempt to curb information about the demonstrations from spreading.

An Associated Press journalist saw about 400 people gathered Thursday night in at least two spots in the Cerro neighborhood shouting, “We want light, we want light,” and banging pots and pans.

It appeared to be the first public display over the electricity problems that spread from western Cuba, where Ian hit on Tuesday, to the entire island, leaving the country’s 11 million people in the dark. The storm also left three people dead and caused still unquantified damage.

Power was restored to much of the island within a day after the storm’s blast. But there still areas without service, including in the capital.

Internet service was interrupted Thursday, then returned by Friday morning, at least in some areas. But it went out again later in the day, groups that monitor internet access reported.

Alp Toker, director of London-based Netblocks, said the blackout in internet service on Thursday and Friday appeared different from an internet outage that occurred soon after Ian hit.

“Internet has been cut again in Cuba, at around the same time as yesterday,” Toker said in an email to AP on Friday night. “The timings provide another indicator that the shutdowns are a measure to suppress coverage of the protests.”

Doug Madory, director of internet analysis at Kentik Inc., a network intelligence company, earlier described Thursday’s event as a “total internet blackout.”

Repeated blackouts on Cuba’s already fragile grid were among the causes of the island’s largest social protests in decades in July 2021. Thousands of people, weary of power failures and shortages of goods exacerbated by the pandemic and U.S. sanctions, turned out in cities across the island to vent their anger and some also lashed out at the government. Hundreds were arrested and prosecuted, prompting harsh criticism of the administration of President Miguel Diaz-Canel.

The government has not said what percentage of the overall population remained without electricity as of early Friday, but electrical authorities said only 10% of Havana’s 2 million people had power Thursday.

Experts said the total blackout showed the vulnerability of Cuba’s power grid and warned that it will require time and sources — things the country doesn’t have — to fix the problem.

Authorities have promised to work without rest to address the issue.

Calls by AP to a dozen people in Cuba’s main cities — Holguín, Guantánamo, Matanzas, Ciego de Ávila, Camagüey and Santiago — found problems similar to those in Havana, with most reporting their neighborhoods were still without electricity.

Authorities say the total blackout happened because of a failure in the connections between Cuba’s three regions — west, center and east — caused by Ian’s winds.

Cuba’s power grid “was already in a critical and immunocompromised state as a result of the deterioration of the thermoelectric plants. The patient is now on life support,” said Jorge Piñon, director of the Center for International Energy and Environmental Policy’s Latin America and Caribbean program at the University of Texas.

Cuba has 13 power generation plants, eight of which are traditional thermoelectric plants, and five floating power plants rented from Turkey since 2019. There is also a group of small plants distributed throughout the country since an energy reform in 2006.

But the plants are poorly maintained, a phenomenon the government attributed to the lack of funds and U.S. sanctions. Complications in obtaining fuel is also a problem.

———

Andrea Rodríguez on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ARodriguezAP

———

Associated Press writer E. Eduardo Castillo contributed to this report from Mexico City.



Source link

Continue Reading

International

Japan PM condemns Russian annexation of parts of Ukraine

Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, in telephone call with Ukraine’s president, has condemned Russia’s new annexation of parts of Ukraine as illegal and a violation of the country’s sovereignty

TOKYO — Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, in telephone call Friday with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, condemned Russia’s new annexation of parts of Ukraine as illegal and a violation of the country’s sovereignty.

“I told him that the process that Russia called a referendum and its annexation of parts of Ukraine should never be accepted, and that I strongly condemn them,” Kishida said afterward.

Kishida said he also reassured Zelenskyy in their 30-minute conversation that Japan is committed to working with other Group of Seven nations and the broader international community in further supporting Ukraine, and plans to impose more sanctions against Russia.

Western leaders including U.S. President Joe Biden have also condemned Russia’s annexation of four occupied Ukrainian regions days after voters supposedly approved Moscow-managed “referendums” on joining Russia.

Kishida, who is to host a meeting of leaders of the Group of Seven industrialized nations next year, told Zelenskyy he plans to propose that they impose tough sanctions against Russia, and will lead a discussion on Ukraine’s reconstruction.

He said Japan is assessing when it can reopen its embassy in Kyiv, which he described as important for close contacts between Japan and Ukraine. Japan closed its embassy in March as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine intensified and moved part of its operations to Lviv in western Ukraine.

Japan has closely cooperated with other G-7 members and European nations in imposing sanctions on Russia over its war in Ukraine. Most recently, Japan banned exports of sensitive materials that could be used to make chemical weapons.

Japan’s sanctions against Russia have further damaged their ties, already strained over a group of islands taken by Moscow at the end of World War II that have prevented the two countries from signing a peace treaty formally ending their war hostilities.

In retaliation for Tokyo’s sanctions, Moscow terminated peace talks, including negotiations over the islands.

Source link

Continue Reading

Facebook

Latest

In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said
National2 days ago

In a workshop, IAS officer said, girls have to change their thinking, know what else they said

In response, a senior woman IAS officer said that there is no end to this demand. She further said, 'You...

Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees
National2 days ago

Government increased dearness allowance of central employees by 4%, this would benefit 50 lakh employees

Along with this, the work of redevelopment is going on in 199 railway stations of the country. Tenders have been...

Twitter denies Elon Musk's claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news Twitter denies Elon Musk's claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news
National2 days ago

Twitter denies Elon Musk’s claim of fake accounts, you also know what is the news

Documents obtained from two data scientists employed by Musk showed they estimated in early July that the number of fake...

Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved
National2 days ago

Yogi cabinet will have an important meeting, dozens of proposals may be approved

It is being told that more than a dozen proposals can be approved in the meeting to be chaired by...

Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter
National3 days ago

Congress leader raped air hostess in Delhi, know the whole matter

Female air hostess. When the police reached the spot, the woman told that a person named Harijit Yadav, whom she...

People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case
National3 days ago

People will be able to watch live streaming of Constitution Bench hearing, beginning with Uddhav vs Shinde case

It started today with the Uddhav vs Shinde case. Senior advocate Kapil Sibal argued on behalf of the Uddhav faction.

NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar
National3 days ago

NIA arrested 170 PFI workers from 8 states of the country, Section 144 implemented in Jamia Nagar

. So the same, NIA team raided Delhi's Shaheen Bagh on Tuesday morning and detained 30 people. The NIA had...

New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort
National3 days ago

New disclosure in Ankita murder case, former female employee said, suspicious boys and girls used to come to the resort

After leaving the job, Pulkit, Saurabh and Ankit put a lot of pressure on me to return to the job....

Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy
National1 week ago

Modi urges environment ministers to give maximum boost to circular economy

It was inaugurated when I became the Prime Minister. A huge amount of money was wasted due to this delay....

BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter
National1 week ago

BJP MP Janardan Mishra cleans the school toilet with his hands, shared the video on Twitter

When the MP saw that the toilet of the center was very dirty, it was not cleaned, he decided to...

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.