Connect with us

News

Belarus says it’s arrested Russian mercenaries, as rift grows between strongmen Putin and Lukashenko

Published

on

Authorities have opened a criminal investigation against the men on suspicion of terrorism, according to Belarus’s Security Council chief, Andrey Ravkov. They face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Belarusian law enforcement agencies said Wednesday they had received information about more than 200 militants arriving in Belarus and detained over 33 people identified as fighters from the Wagner private military company, a shadowy enterprise widely believed to be sponsored by St. Petersburg businessman Yevgeny Prigozhin.

Prigozhin is a Russian oligarch often referred to as “Putin’s chef” for his close ties to the Kremlin. Wagner fighters have been previously deployed to Ukraine, Syria and Libya, among other places.

Lukashenko is likely to use his powerful propaganda machine to project an image of himself as a defender of the country against foreign threats as elections draw closer.

Belarusian state TV released video of the raid showing several of the men being detained in a hotel room. One man is shown handcuffed face down in bed. The video also showed alleged personal possessions of detainees, including passports, US dollars, other foreign currency and phones.

Prigozhin’s Concord group of companies repeated its denial that Prigozhin owned Wagner, in a comment posted on their VKontakte social media page late Wednesday. Prigozhin “has nothing to do with Wagner, does not finance them and does not follow their whereabouts,” it said.

Prigozhin was sanctioned by the US for funding the Internet Research Agency, which US intelligence agencies say meddled in the 2016 US presidential election.

Crackdown on protests

Belarus is holding its presidential election on August 9 following weeks of mass protests in support of opposition candidates, and against Lukashenko’s sixth reelection campaign. In a Belarusian Security Council meeting Thursday, officials said security measures would be tightened at all electoral events, according to a statement by the committee and state media reports. That would effectively restrict mass events and subject protesters to thorough checks. Border controls with Russia will also be tightened.

Candidates running against Lukashenko were called to the unexpected meeting at the Central Elections Committee headquarters, where Ravkov warned that many more militants were still in the country and that “provocations” were expected. He said they posed “a threat to the safety of citizens during campaign events held by presidential candidates.”

Authorities might also shut down or restrict internet access during demonstrations, according to one of the presidential candidates, Andrey Dmitriev, who spoke to local news organization Tyt.by.

“I’ve asked Ravkov whether it’s possible that the internet will be restricted during demos,” he said. “I was told that they do not exclude this in case they deem that [the internet] poses a direct threat to the security of the country.”

Lukashenko accused of playing politics

Belta published a list containing the full names of what it said were the detained men. The Belarusian state security committee arrested the suspects with the help of special police units. The Belarusian investigative committee has opened an inquiry.

Lukashenko said he would be demanding an explanation from Russia, according to Belta. The Russian embassy in Belarus said in a tweet it had received an official notification from the authorities regarding the detentions.

The Kremlin said on Thursday it was not aware of any illegal activities by the Russians arrested in Belarus and that it did not yet have all the details about the arrests.

“Of course there are some insinuations that it’s some Russian organizations sending someone to destabilize the situation in Belarus. This is nothing but insinuations. Russia and Belarus are allies and closest partners so this is out of question,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said in a conference call.

Russian writer Zakhar Prilepin, who previously fought in eastern Ukraine on the separatists; side, wrote on his Facebook page that he had identified several men who served in his battalion among those arrested in Belarus. He suggested that the men were most likely passing through Belarus to fight elsewhere, and that their detentions were being used by Lukashenko for leverage ahead of the election.

'Better to die standing than to live on your knees,' says Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko at ice hockey match

“But if the Belarusian leadership starts using this story for its own purposes, it will certainly look ridiculous. This looks like a well-known story when well-trained people move to certain destinations where they have their own business, they do not need Belarus,” Prilepin added. “And I’m sure the Belarusian special services are well aware that three dozen men in camouflage were going somewhere else.”

Out of the 33 men detained, 14 have been identified as veterans of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, according to Ravkov. The Ukrainian ambassador has also been called on to provide explanations, he said.

Ukraine said it will work on the possible extradition of its citizens and added that it was developing “good neighborly relations” with Belarus.

“Ukraine has long warned that members of the Russian occupying forces and illegal armed groups that participated in hostilities in eastern Ukraine are being used elsewhere in the world and pose a threat,” the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

“The identification of these militants in Belarus confirms this and indicates that they can be used to destabilize the situation in Belarus on the eve of the presidential elections.”

The US military recently accused Russia of sending Wagner mercenaries, along with weapons like anti-aircraft systems, to operate on the front lines of the conflict in Libya. The US Africa Command has also released satellite photos that they say show Wagner vehicles and Russian military equipment in Libya supporting anti-government rebels in the country’s civil war.

Among the detained men’s items confiscated by authorities at the hotel was a document written in Arabic, showing a prayer used by a Muslim Sunni religious order called al-Qadiriyya, popular among Muslims in Arab countries in Northern Africa. The document and foreign currency found in their belongings suggest that the fighters may have been traveling to another destination via the Belarusian capital.

“The visitors drew attention to themselves as they behaved uncharacteristically for Russian tourists and wore a uniform, military-style clothing. They didn’t drink alcohol, didn’t visit any places of entertainment, [and] kept themselves away from everyone to try and not to draw attention to themselves,” Belta report said.

Aleksey Kondratyev, a Russian senator and colonel with the military’s GRU intelligence unit, said the details of the detentions needed to be “checked and law enforcement of both countries needs to cooperate on this,” Russian state-run news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Source link

Business

How to open an account in Swiss Bank from India

As soon as the news of increase the in money in Swiss Bank increased, numbers of queries related to Swiss Bank got increased. So, we thought to help you to with the most searched question on the internet “How to open an account in Swiss Bank from India”.

Published

on

How to open an account in Swiss Bank from India 1

Swiss Bank, like me many of you was introduced this name in 2014 when Mr. Narendra Modi who was the chief minister of Gujarat that time made his election campaign on Black money in Swiss Bank. Now, in 2021 no money was back to India as promised by Narendra Modi. On other hand there is huge hike in Indian Money deposited into Swiss Bank. According to the media reports the total amount has reached more than 20,700 Cr and also the Swiss bank account holders in India gets increased post 2014.

Now, if you see google then many people are searching to open a Swiss Bank account online. It’s not that everyone wants to open an account in Swiss Bank, however many of them like me are just curious to know the process to open an account in Swiss Bank.

Also Read: China launches crewed spacecraft Shenzhou-12 in the historic mission

How to open an account in Swiss Bank from India
Image Credit – Pexels

How to open a Swiss bank account

  • Just like Indian Banks, Banks in Switzerland also minimum balance criteria. You have to find a Bank that will accept the amount of fund you have. The minimum balance is between 100.000 CHF up to 500.000 CHF and it vary from Bank to Bank.
  • Once you identify the Bank, or you can also take a professional help from third party websites. They charge you a professional fee to help you to open a Bank Account.
  • These are the four steps to open an account
  • Fill out the application form at our order page
  • After reception of your order the bank will mail you a welcome packet
  • Sign the documents and send them back to the bank
  • The bank will confirm the opening of your new Swiss bank account
  • If you will not be able to travel Switzerland, then you can also complete the process through post (Courier)
  • You also have to show the origin of fund like bank statement, documents from the sale of property or any other document that shows the transaction amount

Thinks you should know before opening a Swiss bank account

  • Any individual over the age of 18 is allowed to open a Swiss Bank account
  • An Indian can open an account but with a ceiling for the financial year. However, for the purpose of conducting business such an account is permitted under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
  • There are nearly 400 banks in Switzerland with the top two – UBS and Credit Suisse Group
  • There is an account type called ‘numbered account’. All interaction with the account is through the account number. Very few people in the bank will know the name behind the numbered account.
  • You can close your account any time without any restrictions or cost
Continue Reading

NATIONAL

Sports world pays tribute to Milkha Singh

Veteran Indian athlete Milkha Singh passed away at a local hospital here at 11.30 pm on Friday, leaving the sports world in a tizzy. After the death of this great sprinter, many celebrities have paid tribute to him. There are some kind.

Published

on

Sports world pays tribute to Milkha Singh

Veteran Indian athlete Milkha Singh passed away at a local hospital here at 11.30 pm on Friday, leaving the sports world in a tizzy. After the death of this great sprinter, many celebrities have paid tribute to him.

I promise you Milkha Singh ji that we will fulfill your last wish. India has lost its star. Milkha Singh ji has left us but he will continue to inspire every Indian to shine for India. My deepest condolences to the family. I pray for the peace of his soul. Kiren Rijiju

Rest in peace our very own ‘Flying Sikh’ Milkha Singh Ji. Your passing has left a deep void in the heart of every Indian today, but you will continue to inspire many generations to come. Sachin Tendulkar

SAI is deeply saddened by the passing away of “The Flying Sikh” Milkha Singh, one of the greatest sportspersons India has ever produced. Gold medalist at Commonwealth Games and Asian Games, she held the 400m national record for 38 years. Condolences to his family and the millions he inspired. Sports Authority of India

Your story inspired millions and will continue to inspire….Rip Legend. Ritu Phogat

We might not have seen you competing, but every time we ran fast as kids, we ran like Milkha Singh. And to me, she will always be the legend you left behind. You didn’t just run, you inspired. Rest in peace, sir. Sunil Chhetri

Continue Reading

News

Delhi government will prepare 5,000 health assistants in view of the third wave of corona

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said, “In the first and second wave of corona we have seen shortage of medical and paramedical staff.

Published

on

Arvind Kejriwal speaking with media in his office in Delhi

In an important announcement today, the Delhi government said that it will prepare 5,000 health assistants as a precaution in the wake of the third wave of corona. Under this ambitious project of Delhi Government, Indraprastha University will start training the youth gradually.

Talking about this project, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said, “In the first and second wave of corona we have seen a shortage of medical and paramedical staff. So the government has an ambitious plan, under which 5000 health assistants will be prepared.”

Also Read: Kim Jong Un has said Food situation is under tense

Describing the outline of the project, Arvind Kejriwal said, “Indraprastha (IP) University will train 5000 youth sequentially for every 2 weeks. After that they will be given basic training in 9 premier medical institutes of Delhi.

Clearing doubts about the usefulness of health assistants prepared after just two weeks of training and training, Kejriwal said that these health assistants will work as assistants to doctor-nurse. They will be given basic training in nursing, paramedics, life saving, first aid and home care. Online applications for this can be filled from tomorrow, Thursday, June 17. The training will start from June 28. For this the qualification is 12th pass and age limit is more than 18 years.

This plan of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is prima facie looking very futuristic, but the reality will be known only after its implementation. It is to be known that with this announcement of Kejriwal, his critics have started to satire on this plan.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency news helpline feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Continue Reading

Trending